How can we reduce emissions, capture carbon, and adapt to climate change?
- Conserve water.
- Use biodegradable soaps and detergents.
- Reuse gray water to irrigate your garden.
- Treat waste water with a septic tank or, in the case of gray water, an artificial wetland.
- Install a low flush or composting toilet.
- Capture rainwater from your roof for your toilets or to water plants.
WATER MANAGEMENT RESOURCES
Foto por Mauricio Valverde
- Educate visitors about the impacts of climate change and how to avoid them.
- Be a model of how to mitigate and adapt to climate change.
- Offset your carbon footprint and suggest to your clients that they offset theirs.
- Make your business carbon neutral.
RECURSOS SOBRE TURISMO
Foto por Marvin Ramirez
- Keep our streams and rivers clean.
- Educate yourself and others about the impact of climate change on the flora and fauna.
- Share the results of research done on the effect of climate change on biodiversity.
- Create more forest connectivity, especially along streams and rivers.
- Participate in citizen science projects such as eBird, Christmas bird counts, and iNaturalist.
Foto por Ministerio de Salud
- Remove containers that hold stagnant water where mosquitos can reproduce.
- Store water in well sealed containers.
- Prevent chagas infections by keeping your garden and farm free of rodent nests.
- Plant a garden to always have fresh vegetables and fruits.
Foto por Katy VanDusen
- Do not build close to streams or in areas susceptible to landslides.
- Identify risks in your home and create an emergency plan.
- Prepare for electrical interruptions with a battery backup or solar lamps.
- Prepare for water outages by storing at least one 5 gallon container with clean water.
- Cooperate with your neighbors and your community to prevent and respond to disasters.
- Report vulnerable infraestructura to the local Emergency Commission.
COSTAL ZONES AND FISHERIES
Foto por Trevor E. Ritland
- Buy sustainably-harvested local fish.
- Avoid the use of single-use plastic to reduce the amount of plastic in the oceans.
- Protect and replant mangroves.
RESOURCES FOR COASTAL ZONES AND FISHERIES