CONSUMPTION AND WASTE
How can we reduce emissions, capture carbon and adapt to climate change?
- Refuse. Reduce. Less consumption means fewer greenhouse gas emissions.
- Repair and reuse.
- Recycle and use products made with recycled materials.
- Recuperate energy, materials and water from your waste. By doing so you will support a circular economy.
- Avoid eating animal products.
- Buy locally.
- Build with wood to fix carbon.
- Avoid building with cement. More than 5% of Costa Rica’s emissions come from cement production.
- When you do use cement, use a mix with lower CO2
Foto por JP Monge
The Farmer’s Market – Fridays at the Mall in Santa Elena
Foto por Evelyn Obando
- Separate your waste: organic, recyclables, not recyclables.
- Recycle paper, cardboard, metal, glass, plastic, tetrabrik, fluorescent bulbs.
- Make compost with your organic waste.
- Repair leaks from your air conditioner before refilling it.
- Take your used refrigerators, freezers, air conditioners, and deshumidifiers to a certified company.
Comisión de Manejo Integral de Resíduos Sólidos (COMIRES)
Comisión Especial de Gestión Integral del Recurso Hídrico (CEGIREH)