How can we reduce risks and become more resilient to climate change?
- • Conserve water. Use less.
- • Turn off your taps. Fix leaks.
- • Use biodegradable soaps and detergents.
- • Reuse gray water to irrigate your garden.
- • Treat waste water with a septic tank.
- • Build an artificial wetland to process gray water.
- • Install a low flush or, better, a dry composting toilet.
- • Capture rainwater from your roof for your toilets or to water plants.
- • Build rain gardens to absorb storm water.
- • Educate yourself and visitors about the causes and impacts of the climate crisis and how we all can make a difference.
- • Be a model of how to mitigate and adapt to climate change.
- • Offset your carbon footprint and suggest that others do so through Compense Su Huella.
- • Participate in the Ruta Eléctrica Monteverde and Bicionarios de Monteverde.
- • Make your business carbon neutral.
- • Create more forest connectivity, especially along streams and rivers.
- • Keep our streams and rivers clean.
- • Protect forests.
- • Plant native species.
- • Educate yourself and others about the impact of climate change on flora and fauna.
- • Share the results of research on the effects of climate change on biodiversity.
- • Participate in community science projects.
- • Remove containers that hold stagnant water where mosquitoes can reproduce.
- • Store water in well-sealed containers.
- • Plant a garden to always have fresh vegetables and fruits.
- • Be sure buildings have adequate air circulation.
- • Paint your roof white to keep your building cool.
- • Have extra medications in preparation for when the roads are out.
- • Build away from streams and areas susceptible to landslides.
- • Identify risks in your home and create an emergency plan.
- • Prepare for electrical interruptions with a battery backup or solar lamps.
- • Prepare for water outages by storing at least one 5-gallon container with clean water.
- • Cooperate with your neighbors and your local Emergency Commission to prevent and respond to disasters.
- • Report problems with roads, electricity, water, telephones and other services.
Coastal Zones and Fisheries
- • Buy sustainably-harvested local fish.
- • Protect and replant mangroves.
- • Stop the flow of plastic to the oceans.
- • Support people who fish with wooden sailboats.